Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Media Technology in..media?

Taio Cruz ft. Ludacris- “Break Your Heart”

Although having heard the song countless times, I felt I should, or at least attempt to, abandon what I know of the song and focus solely on the lyrics and how these words would lend to the music itself.

Upon first glance, the lyrics would suggest that the song have a more melancholy and somber tone. The speaker is explicit in stating that he/she is going to “love and leave” his love interest (or rather former interest) and “break [his/her] heart.” The speaker recognizes and is fully aware of the consequences of his actions and although seemingly feels no remorse, one would assume the song would have somewhat of a staid and serious tone.

The songs we examined in class such as Eminem’s “My Mom” and The Smith’s “Ask” were exemplary in showing that without supplementary material, in this case the music itself, lyrics on paper do not necessary correspond with the music at all times.
These examples show how even in something as simple as a song, media technology can play a significant role in how a given text is interpreted.

Taio Cruz ft. Ludacris- “Break Your Heart”

[Ludacris:] LUDA!
Now I may not be the worst or the best but you gotta respect my honesty.
And I may break your heart, but I don't really think there's anybody's as bomb as me
So you can take this chance, in the end everybody's gonna be wondering how you deal
You might say this is Ludacris, but Taio Cruz tell em' how you feel

Now listen to me baby
Before I love and leave you
They call me heart breaker
I don't want to deceive you

If you fall for me
I'm not easy to please
I'mma tear you apart
Told you from the start, baby from the start.

I'm only gonna break break your break break your heart. (x4)

[Ludacris:]
(Thats all I'm gonna do woman)
Listen, now I'm only gonna break your heart
And shatter and spatter it all into little itty bitty pieces
Whether or not you get it all together
Then its finders keepers and losers weepers
See I'm not trying lead you on, no I'm only trying keep it real
You might say this is Ludacris, but Taio Cruz tell her how you feel!

[Bridge]
And I know karma's gonna get me back for being so cold
Like a big bad wolf I'm born to be bad and bad to the bone
If you fall for me I'm only gonna tear you apart
Told ya from the start.

Now listen to me baby
Before I love and leave you
They call me heart breaker
I don't want to deceive you

If you fall for me
I'm not easy to please
I'mma tear you apart
Told you from the start, baby from the start.

I'm only gonna break break your break break your heart. (x4)

Woah woah

There’s no point trying to hide it
No point trying to erase me
I know I got a problem
By doing this behavior

If you fall for me
I'm not easy to please
I'mma tear you apart
Told you from the start, baby from the start.

I'm only gonna break break your break break your heart. (x4)

1 comment:

  1. Anoush,

    I never noticed the lyrics of "Break Your Heart" before and most likely because I assumed it was a happy song. I find it very ironic that the song talks about a person being aware they are going to break another's heart before they even do it. I went to California Adventure a couple of weeks ago and they had this outside party where people in costumes dressed up in bright colors and danced to this song. I'm surprised Disneyland would play a song with lyrics like these, but perhaps they fell under the impression that people attending the park wouldn't notice just as I didn't.

    Jessica Vazquez

    ReplyDelete